I decided to work on Streak Club a bit this weekend. One idea that's been floating in the back of my head is having a discussion place for streaks. Streaks are effectively communities, and previously the only way to discuss anything was through comments on a submission. Streak hosts can now optionally turn on a community for their Streak. (When a host creates a new topic, everyone gets notified. That's why you got a red circle).
So why am I announcing Streak Club features in the Daily Art community? Daily Art was the reason why I created Streak Club. It's the biggest Streak on the site, and there are still people using it. I'm very happy for that, but I think that it has a lot more potential. I wanted to start this topic to talk about things that could be added to Streak Club to get the attention of old participants, and attract new people.
Here are some ideas I have:
- Daily prompts Streak hosts could have a place where they could write up prompts for each day (or week). They could remain hidden until (or not) until the day arrives. Everyone could attempt to work around the prompt. Prompts could include things like themes, colors, mediums, etc.
- Multiple streak hosts Right now only one person can host a Streak, and I'm the host of this Streak. I know there are many people that want to see Daily Art Streak stay interesting regardless of if I have time or not. After coding support for multiple hosts, we could elect people to help run it. If we have prompts then this could include writing prompts.
- Personal streaks and streak templates Streaks are for motivation. If you want to learn something with Streak club then you'd be responsible for figuring out what you'd want to do each day or week. The problem with this is that most people are not motivated enough. There's a huge drop off rate. After someone joins they tend to submit once and give up, or they'll create a private Streak and abandon it. Combined with the prompt idea from above, I think it would be interesting to be able to start a new streak from a template, say a "Drawing basics" streak that has a prompt for you to work on a different technique each day. You could click start when you want and do the streak on your own time. I think this is an entirely new use-case, and could get many more people involved in the public streaks like Daily Art. A personl streak would have relaxed rules, and be private by default, but you could make it public and invite others like any other streak.
- Nagging notifications I want to add some sort of nag that encourages people to post. I'm cautious to avoid spamming people, but I think some some of email reminder, especially after you initially join a streak, could boost engagement a lot. I only know I want to do this, I don't know any details yet.
If you have any ideas then I've love to hear them. Here are the problems I'm trying to solve:
- When someone joins a streak, how do we make sure they keep coming back and they keep posting
- How can we make more people aware of Streak Club, and encourage them to join Daily Art
Bonus: How to use this community
Now that we have this community, here are some idea for topics:
- Drawing resources megadump - post links to stuff to learn from
- Ad-hoc prompts - before we have official prompt support, we could organize things in the community manually
- Links to related streaks - there are a lot of related drawing streaks going on, but people miss them. Did you know there was an inktober 2016 streak, and there's an upcoming paintvember streak?
BTW Streak Club is opensource: https://github.com/leafo/streak.club Tell me if you want to help work on it