I started working on a much-needed new enemy, called the hunter (again, name might change in the future). They run faster than guards and even the player, so you'll want to beef up your defenses to deal with them. They also like spawning behind the slower roamers, using them as meatshields until they can close in.
Work-in-progress animations below :)
Implemented the guard towers. They are upgradable and garrisonable. I still need to improve the system so that multiple guards can use them at the same time, but that won't be too hard. I love how easy it is to add new behaviors to the AI with the state machine I have written, it makes developement very fast and iterative.
I'm not sure how to orient the weapons of the guards yet, though, since it's all pixel art. I hope i don't have to do multiple frames for it.
I'm stuck in this refactoring process, and I haven't had much time to work on things today. The peons are getting there: they now wander around, pick up tools, and farm if they can. I still need to rewrite the peon-enemy interactions.
I'll post some more exciting stuff in the future :)
Lots of behind-the-scenes work was accomplished today. I wrote an actual state machine that's easy to attach to any entity, and now it's just of matter of implementing it on the enemies and peons. It's implemented on the player and deleting a ton of 'if' statements and booleans was very satisfying. Nothing to show, though, since the player acts the same :P
On the art side, I added a couple of frames to the player sprite, so that they're holding a tablet device when deciding what to build. I also pixeled some walls, as you can see below.